Sunday, February 12, 2006

When lovable doesn't work

Someone told me today, "I have discovered that there are some people who don't like me. Even though I am so lovable. They don't like my lovability."

Most of us figure out styles that work for us. They may be extremely effective, but there aren't any styles that work all the time, even being lovable.

We need to recognize that our default styles can be helpful much of the time, but still not work some of the time. At that point, our own success can be a liability because we can get stubborn, insisting that this way ought to work. We cannot conceive there is something wrong with us, our approach. It must be them.

But we all need flexibillity and an attitude of constant learning. We need to understand and adapt to our situations and to others' cultures and styles.

After all, lovability is in the eye of the beholder.

No comments: