Sunday, February 12, 2006

Disappointment hits hard for Kearney

"She bit her lip and walked away, her goggles trying to hide the tears.

That was an Olympic moment, too. Sometimes, the medal contenders do not stand on the podium with smiles and tears of joy. Sometimes, tears of frustration, sadness and disappointment mark the day when years of hard work do not yield the desired result. There will be more athletes in Kearney's shoes than there will be athletes adorned in gold, silver and bronze. They had dreams, too."

So true. In all of life, when it seems things DO NOT go our way more than they DO, an essential skill is learning to deal with disappointment and defeat.

I think it is important to acknowledge the emotions, not hide them, then evaluate the situation - what should I LEARN from this, how do I adjust my understanding of myself and the world and God's perspective better, and then move forward with new insight and confidence in God's purposes for me

No comments: