Monday, February 06, 2006

Evolution of my exercize

In 2001, after nearly two years living in Singapore, I decided to start exercizing.

From '97 to '99 in China, I felt I lived a pretty healthy lifestyle. We ate fresh vegetables and no processed foods for just about every meal, and I walked a lot and rode my bike every day. We also lived on the fourth floor of a building with no elevator, so went up and down the stairs several times a day.

When we moved to Singapore at the end of '99, I still kept walking a good deal because we had no car and I used public transport to commute to the office everyday. Walk to the train station, walk to the office, etc. But we also began to eat more processed foods, and the weather was so hot and humid that I didn't want to do any other kind of exercize like sports.

I realized I was getting lethargic. I'd sit on the sofa in our living room feeling hot and lazy. At that point I decided I needed to start exercizing in order to spur my energy.

First Stage

At first I started going to the gym near our house two days a week to lift weights. I wanted to gain energy and strengthen my bones so that as I got older I wouldn't get feebler. I noticed two immediate benefits. First, my energy level did improve, and second, I didn't have backaches when I woke up in the morning.

Second Stage

In 2002 after pretty regular exercize for a year, I decided to up my regime to three times a week. In my mind I set a standard of twice a week meaning that I was staying even, once a week meant slipping backward, and thrice a week meant improving.

Third Stage

When I first started exercizing I went by myself. Along the way a neighbor started joining me, and at some point Kimberly started going also. It made it more enjoyable and gave me accountability and support for going. However, if they were not able to go, it also created an excuse for me to skip exercizing if I didn't feel like it. In 2003 I decided I couldn't depend on them to join me, I needed to decide when I was going to exercize and if they could join me, fine. But I wouldn't interrupt my routine if they were unavailabe.

Fourth Stage

In 2004 my physical checkup showed a high level of cholesteral for the first time. I made a couple of dietary changes, and also ddecided to start making aerobic exercize a higher priority than weight training. I really don't like aerobics. I've never been a jogger. I don't like it, and I have bad knees. Two surgeries on my left knee took out most of the cartilege and it gets easily swollen if I run on it. But our gym has an elliptical trainer, like a cross-country skiing thing, and that gave me a good workout without putting too much pressure on my knees.

Fifth Stage

After a year of aerobic, I started paying more attention to my breathing and decided to always breathe through my nose, keeping my mouth closed. That was hard at first, feeling I wasn't getting enough oxygen! But it gave me more focus and discipline in my exercize.

Sixth Stage

In late 2005 I decided to add stretching to my exercizing. I am so inflexible! Always have been. I hate stretching. I'm too impatient for it. But now I'm taking time after elliptical and then situps and backrises to do some stretching before weights for my shoulders and arms. Still aiming for Monday through Friday, 5-6pm.

No comments: