Monday, May 22, 2006

Coaching Your Best People

Here's some practical help from Marcus Buckingham's book, "First, Break All the Rules" on how to attract, retain and develop top performers.

"Gallup narrowed the material down to 12 questions that proved to be effective tools to measure the core elements needed to attract, focus, and keep the most talented employees. Here they are:

1. Do I know what is expected of me at work?

2. Do I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right?

3. At work, do I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day?

4. In the last seven days, have I received recognition or praise for good work?

5. Does my supervisor, or someone at work, seem to care about me as a person?

6. Is there someone at work who encourages my development?

7. At work, do my opinions seem to count?

8. Does the mission/purpose of my company make me feel like my work is important?

9. Are my co-workers committed to doing quality work?

10. Do I have a best friend at work?

11. In the last six months, have I talked with someone about my progress?

12. At work, have I had opportunities to learn and grow?

According to the book First Break All the Rules, questions 1, 2, 3, 5 and 7 are linked to retention."

No comments: