Saturday, March 11, 2006

The Best Picture Misses the Big Picture

This LA Times opinion piece facetiously thanks the Motion Picture Academy and makers of the movie "Crash" for opening his eyes to the real LA: a powder-keg of racial hatred.

In doing so, he points out how news and entertainment media tend to sensationalize social trends and paint society according to their point of view.

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie and wonder if I will have the same reaction.

"I used to think we could all get along, more or less. I believed that despite its many flaws and obvious divisions by race and class, Los Angeles was one of the more successfully integrated cities in the world. And so to me, 'Crash' felt like an artless, dated and manipulative morality tale on the evils of the sprawling metropolis, shot with a long lens from behind the bars of a gated seaside community."

No comments: